Paediatric First Aid (PFA)
Level 3 Award accredited by the Highfield Qualifications (nee HABC)
This course consists of two units:
- Unit 1 - Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid (One-day course)
- Unit 2- Level 3 Award in Managing Paediatric Illness, Injuries and Emergencies (Two-day course)
This course is normally delivered on two consecutive days. However, it may be delivered on two separate days to accommodate your company's needs. In order to gain the Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid, Unit Two must commence within 10 weeks of completing Unit One.
Who is this course for?
The course is for those who have a responsibility for babies and children in their workplace. This course meets the Ofsted requirements for registered childminders and the requirements for nannies under the Approved Carers Scheme.
Who should attend?
This course is for those who work with young people or wish to hold a comprehensive first aid qualification covering babies and children.
What will they learn?
- Role of the paediatric first aider
- Minimising the risk of infection
- Dealing with emergencies
- Unconscious casualty
- Cardiopulmonay Resuscitation
- Principles of using an Automated External Debrillator (AED)
- Managing an obstructed airway
- Wounds and bleeding
- Hypovolaemic shock
- Effects of extreme heat and cold
- Skeletal injuries
- Head, neck and back injuries
- Injuries of the eyes, ears and nose
- Electrical injury
- Burns and scalds
- Bites and stings
- Accident recording and reporting procedures
How long is the course?
How is it assessed?
25 x multiple choice exam paper and continuous practical assessment by the trainer.
How long does the qualification last?